Ian specialises in defending individuals and businesses facing investigation or prosecution.
He has significant experience in fraud, tax, money laundering, health and safety, environmental and trading standards cases. Ian is renowned for his expertise in shotgun and firearms licensing and for dealing with matters arising out of the Proceeds of Crime Act in the Crown Court.
Having conducted several thousand interviews under caution and many complex and lengthy fraud trials, Ian has the experience to provide reassuring, detailed and calm advice in any investigation or prosecution.
His expertise includes:
- Fraud – conspiracy to defraud, fraud by false representation and fraudulent trading
- HMRC – investigations, interviews under caution, prosecutions, enforcement
- Proceeds of Crime Act – investigations, account freezing orders, cash seizure, forfeiture, money laundering investigations and prosecutions, confiscation proceedings, enforcement proceedings
- Health and Safety – compliance solutions and advice, dealing with stop notices and improvement notices, investigations and dawn raids, interviews under caution, prosecutions, confiscation and enforcement
- Shotgun and firearms licensing – applications, refusals, revocations, appeals, challenging prohibition orders, Crown Court advocacy
- Charities Commission – inquiries, allegations of misconduct or mismanagement, interim management, referrals for prosecution
- Trading Standards – investigations, interviews under caution, prosecutions
- Environmental – compliance solutions, investigations and dawn raids, interviews under caution, prosecutions, enforcement
Work highlights include:
- Advising a national housebuilder on compliance with the Construction Design Management Regulations.
- A not guilty verdict for a lead defendant in Operation Smarten, a £170m money laundering prosecution
“Ian is a solicitor you would want on your team. He is hard-working, professional, and wholly committed to the client. He has excellent Judgement, thinks strategically and knows how to get results”
“He has an ability, second to none, to get to the heart of a case with ease, total confidence and great precision.”
“He was always very methodical and insightful in elaborating upon complex legal points and multifaceted evidence.”