Richard is the head of our property litigation team. His practice focuses on disputes concerning land and has grown to include a specialism in planning-related litigation.
His style is clear and result-focused.
Richard acts for investors, landlords, retailers and owner-managed businesses. He advises on breaches of covenant, forfeiture, dilapidations, lease termination, consent issues and rights of way. His specialisms cover:
- Recovering possession of property for major redevelopment projects.
- Securing vesting orders at court to recover land following insolvency.
- Applying to court to modify and vary covenants that limit the use of land.
- Challenging business rates liability.
Having acted on a number of major infrastructure projects, Richard frequently advises on contentious planning matters. This includes:
- Judicial review applications challenging planning decisions.
- Compensation claims arising from the exercise of compulsory purchase powers and the withdrawal of permitted development rights.
- Works around highways and the upgrading of the public rights of way.
- R (Solo Retail Limited) v Torridge District Council  489 (Admin).
- Dickinson v Network Rail Infrastructure Limited  UKUT 372 (LC);.
- R (Smoke Club Limited) v Network Rail Infrastructure Limited  EWHC 3830 (Admin)
Richard has been recognised in the Business Today Top 10 Real Estate Litigation Lawyers dominating North East & Yorkshire 2023.
Richard has been published in Estates Gazette and Property Law Journal and regularly delivers seminars to clients and intermediaries.
He is a member of the Property Litigation Association (sitting on its northern committee) and the Compulsory Purchase Association.